What type of therapy and which therapist should I choose?

There are so many different types of therapists; counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists, psychological therapists, addiction therapists, and of course psychiatrists who are not really therapists but medical doctors who specialise in psychiatric (mental health) disorders. It’s confusing but I’d like to guide you through this.

It’s important that the therapist you see is governed by a professional body so that you can be sure they work to a code of practice and are professionally qualified. These are the main professional bodies and links to how to find therapists who are registered with them:-

Professional therapy bodies in the UK where you can find a therapist:

British Psychological Society (BPS) – Governs Psychologists. To find a Chartered Psychologist who specialises in psychotherapy, look here.

British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP). The leading organisation for CBT in the UK and Ireland. The main Accrediting and Membership body for CBT Psychotherapists. To find a CBT Therapist look here.

British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). The Accrediting body for Counsellors and Psychotherapists. To find a Counsellor or Psychotherapist look here.

UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). The main body for the regulation and accreditation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. To find a psychotherapist look here.

EMDR Association UK and Ireland. The accrediting body for EMDR Therapists. To search for an EMDR Therapist look here.

National Counselling and Psychotherapy Society (NCPS). Regulates and Accredits Counsellors in the UK. To find a counsellor look here.

Similar Posts